I’m a copywriter and content strategist. And I don’t say those words lightly.
I’ve got 15 years of professional experience, writing everything under the sun.
I’ve put together copy for a dozen startups in DC and Toronto. I’ve written content for technology, wellness, a crossfit gym and even a women’s clothing line.
It doesn’t matter what needs to be written. I’ll get ‘er done because I’m a goddamn machine who’s not afraid of a little research.
I’ve also worked in-house a few times, but that’s no biggie.
Writing and Editing Work Experience
(April 2019 – Present) Higher Education Marketing
SEO writer and search engine wonderchild
- Find devious (but legitimate) ways to increase traffic to college and university websites.
- Write everything SEO related, all the time.
- Perform site audits and draft SEO recommendations.
- Spend more time researcher words in a day than most people do in a lifetime.
(September 2018 – Present) FitCompany
Copywriter for a team-building wellness company.
- Revised website front page and all marketing documents.
- Advised on promotional video scripts, landing page designs.
- Researched competitors and established initial branding guidelines.
(May 2016 – January 2018) Core
Managing editor at a data-enrichment marketing automation service.
- Drafted and edited web copy, marketing materials and product documentation.
- Managed, wrote and edited for the Voices content series, focusing tell real-world small business challenges and triumphs.
- Coordinated with team via conference call, proposed UI updates and fixes, and quality tested product.
(October 2016 – April 2017) EdClub
Lead writer at an educational software company.
- Managed writing team for NewsBlocks project, presenting newspaper stories to kids in an interactive medium.
- Wrote video scripts and drafted lesson plans for Digital Citizen project, introducing kids to computers, the web and other facets of modern technology.
- Improved publication slate: 50% increase in minimum content per issue; increased release dates from 1 issue every 3 years, to 3 issues every year.
(January 2014 – October 2016) 202Strong
Copywriter for a Washington, DC gym chain.
- Revised website front page and all marketing documents.
- Drafted new promotional material.
- Researched competitors and established branding guidelines.
(October 2014 – June 2016) Spree Commerce
Writer and editor for an e-commerce technology start-up.
- Revised all existing technical documents and drafted content for site redesign.
- Researched and prepared content for company blog and marketing material.
- Research and compared competitor products, and translated this information into one-sheets and infographic content.
(September 2014 – October 2015) YellowPages: New Home
3-month initial contract (extended to 1-year). Neighborhood guide writer, editor and photographer for the Montreal area.
- Wrote, researched and edited 20+ guides on individual Montreal neighbourhoods.
- Researched real-estate and rental markets for changes and upcoming hotspots.
- Photographed neighbourhood landmarks (cafes, cultural centres, parks, etc.)
(April 2013 – January 2014) Cinemaria
Primary writer for an ultimately aborted documentary television series set to be shot on location at the CHUM hospitals here in Montreal.
- Wrote and prepared pitch documents, emails and other material for network submissions for a documentary television pilot.
- Researched and wrote spec scripts for sample episodes.
- Worked with line producer to create budget proposals and samples.
(May 2011 – May 2012) Walyou.com
Content contributor for a leading technology and geek culture website.
- Wrote, researched and edited 150+ technology and geek culture news articles.
- Coordinated with editorial staff and submitted deliverables within a narrow-time frame.
- View my Waylou author page.
(June 2014 – January 2018) Journal of Religion and Culture (JRC)
Editor-in-chief at a longstanding peer-reviewed graduate publication.
- Revived a near-defunct academic publication.
- Assembled new editorial team, implemented new app-based workflows to streamline operations and management.
- Improved publication slate: 50% increase in minimum content per issue; increased release dates from 1 issue every 3 years, to 3 issues every year
(February 2014 – December 2014) Gradesavers Tutoring
Marketing coordinator and copy writer for a major Montreal tutoring company.
- Designed marketing campaigns (social media, web ads, guerrilla and peer-to-peer).
- Coordinated day-to-day marketing and copy writing tasks.
- Oversaw website redesign and implemented new marketing team workflow.
- Tutored students in history, marketing, English literature, and anthropology.
(February 2011 – May 2012) 21st Century Food
Marketer and copy writer at a modern, American catering and ready-made meal company.
- Designed new web content and content architecture.
- Oversaw implementation of new website.
- Designed and coordinated marketing campaigns and social media strategy.
- Coordinated and assisted in complete menu photography.
(March 2010 – February 2011) Sarah’s Universe Clothing
Marketer and copy writer for an “off the rack” style clothing website.
- Coordinated storefront content with buyer and web master.
- Uploaded and created product details.
- Managed inventories across sales channels.
- Managed social media and marketing campaigns.
Websites Founded and managed
(February 2011 – November 2013) slashCast Podcast
Co-founder and main content writer for an upstart podcast and geek culture website.
- Wrote, researched and edited 30+ gaming, technology and geek culture articles.
- Prepared and contributed to weekly Podcast.
- Managed editorial process, talked on the podcast, assigned articles to writing staff.
- Acted as main editor for web content. .
(October 2010 – December 2011) Bacon ‘n Brains
Co-founder and main satire writer for a comedy and geek culture website.
- Planned editorial content, edited other contributor’s articles.
- Wrote and edited 30+ posts about Canadian politics, life in Montreal and then cutting edge pieces on Zombies.
- Managed editorial process, aided webmaster and graphic designer.
Please refer to my bibliography.